NIE application for foreigners for only 80€

The NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is the identification number in Spain for everyone who is not a Spanish citizen. It is the counterpart to a DNI for Spanish citizens. Both EU citizens and non-EU citizens get issued a NIE. The NIE is not a fiscal residency identification; you can have a NIE and be fiscal resident in another country.

How do I get my NIE number in Spain

Follow these steps to obtain a NIE number:

  • Fill out the NIE application form (EX-15), and print. You can also obtain this form at any NIE office. You must fill out the form in Spanish, but for help in filling out this form, see the English version and French version, or our filled out version. The marital status abbreviations are Single/Married/Widowed/Divorced/Separated (in that order).
  • If you’re in Spain, go to the police station or Oficina de Extranjeros. Outside of Spain, go to the nearest Spanish Consulate (the “Consulate dept legalizaciones”, not the Embassy).

You must bring:

  • The filled-out form
  • A supporting document (such as a notarised letter) showing why you need a NIE
  • A copy of your passport (all pages)
  • A passport photo
  • Approx. 12 € to pay Tax Form 790. (In Madrid, the police send you to a nearby gestor to fill out the Form 790.)

Note: The Spanish government revised the NIE application process in April, 2012.

Key holding Marbella offers the following NIE services:

Assistance in filing the NIE form
We go with you to the local Oficina de Extranjeros (Marbella). We will receive your NIE number in our office in 15 to 30 days.

Assistance in applying for residency in Spain for EU citizens
We assist you in preparing the paperwork, including the EX-18 form. The following documents are necessary:

  • Spanish social security number or private medical insurance
  • Vida Laboral
  • If you have a spouse: a marriage certificate, translated and certified by a judge
  • If you have children: a Libro de Familia

Note that the NIE must include an address in Spain in order to receive the letter with the NIE certificate. You can use our firm’s address if you hire our services to form an SL or any other service that allows us to represent you in Spain. Otherwise we won’t be able to receive the NIE certificate on your behalf.